Thursday, August 2, 2012

Landing

Ahoy y'all!
After 4 flights, layovers, and a bus ride, I have finally arrived yesterday at the hotel where we will be training. The first thing I noticed about China was the smell. There are a few smells that just smell like China. Don't expect this post to be largely coherent, as my body is still adjusting to the complete time swap.
It's 5:14pm as I write this, and today was the second time I've ever been on a subway. I still have no idea how subways work. Public transit is just crazy.

Today I watched three of my teammates eat freshly grilled scorpions - they were squirming before being grilled. I decided not to participate for a few reasons, but one of them (aside from not having change to pay for them) was because I wasn't really into eating scorpions. Apparently they taste good and crunchy with some spicy powder... so if I ever try to eat some, I'll be sure to add the spicy pepper powder!

Earlier today before our meeting started, I went with a couple guys to look for a park where we can run or work out, with limited success. We quickly discovered that you have to watch your step in Beijing - dogs can make the sidewalk pretty messy. I believe we will soon be ready to survive the perils of the fire swamp, since I don't believe that r-o-u-s-es exist. Back to the story: One of us saw a patch of green from a people bridge that we were using as a vantage point. Eager to reach this field of joy, we tried walking directly to it. Sadly, there were various walls blocking us from getting to it from that direction, so we headed back to the hotel the best way we knew. I think tonight we will track down that field and throw an ultimate disc.

Good Morning, America! -Andrew