Saturday, September 15, 2012

First English Corner

It finally happened. I got to meet real students of mine!
I arrived 5-7 minutes early, hoping that the computer would work and that I didn't have to write down the discussion questions on the board. It turns out that the computer was in a case, and a student had to open it up for me. In the case were a monitor and all the controls for the projector and the screen. Lucky for me, it all worked!

Over the course of the English corner, I managed to write down all 16 different names of the people who attended (well... actually there were two different people who both had the same name so that was only 15 unique names). I think I managed to get them talking to each other in English, but when they talked softly, I'm pretty sure a lot of it was in Chinese. Since there were only 16 people, I could ask each one of them to answer questions so they could talk directly to me, but also so that their peers could listen.

At the end of class, I was shutting down the computer and turning off the projector. The student with the keys had to stay until I was finished, because she had to re-lock the computer case. She mentioned to me that they enjoyed the English corner, and that when I smile, it is very cute. ...I had to say "thank you." Oh the joys of China... At least I didn't get the dreaded "Do you have a girlfriend" question yet!

Anyway, let's hope that it only gets better from here!